Achiote & Pineapple Jackfruit Tacos
Looking for a fresh plant-based taco recipe? Don't miss the chance to try this mouthwatering flavor packed recipe from the impressive plant-based Chef, Liz Murphy. Liz has hit a tasty bullseye on this healthy and heavenly feast. Also, with bright colors that pop, this dish is a visual delight. Enjoy the recipe!
1 cup Lime & Agave Slaw (recipe below)
1 cup Smoky Sunflower Seeds (recipe below)
2 cups young jackfruit, shredded
1/2 large white onion, thinly sliced
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1/2 tbsp salt
1 tbsp guajillo chili powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/4 cup vegan achiote paste
1/8 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup pineapple juice
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbsp agave nectar
1/2 cup pineapple chunks, roughly chopped
4 corn tortillas
- Prep Agave & Lime Slaw (see below) and Smoky Sunflower seeds (see below) - set aside
- In a large skillet, over medium heat, add the shredded jackfruit, onion and vegetable broth.
- Add all dry spices to the pan and stir to combine. Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetable broth is completely absorbed and onions begin to soften.
- In a small bowl, add achiote paste, vinegar, pineapple juice, liquid smoke and agave nectar. Using a small whisk or fork, stir until completely combined. Add mixture to the pan and stir.
- Lastly, add the pineapple chunks and cook for 15 minutes until all ingredients have combined and jackfruit begins to crisp on the edges, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- On a sperate griddle or skillet, heat corn tortillas until warmed through.
- Build tacos with the jackfruit, Lime & Agave Slaw, Smoky Sunflower Seeds and fresh cilantro.
- Serve with Lime slices and enjoy.
Lime & Agave Slaw
1/4 cup purple cabbage, shaved
1/4 green cabbage, shaved
2 limes, juiced
1 tbsp agave nectar
1 tsp Tajin
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingrediants and mix until incorporated.
- Serve as a side dish, or on tacos.
Smoky Sunflower Seeds
1 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp Himalayan seasalt
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F and have a non-lined baking sheet ready.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients and stir until everything is incorporated.
- Pour spiced sunflower seeds onto the baking sheet and place in oven.
- Cook until fragrant, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to avoid burning.
- Cool and serve.
Don't miss out on all Liz's recipes!
Over 50 plant based, seasonal recipes, tips, techniques and more. Order now and begin cooking more sustainably and deliciously today!
This book has been created using a carbon-neutral printing process in conjunction with the Forest Stewardship Council. It is shipped in backyard compostable & recyclable packaging.
About Chef Liz Murphy / Founder of Santosha Nutrition
Liz is a plant-based nutrition coach and vegan chef. Her passion for food, the environment and healthy habits has led her to develop knowledge and skills to assist herself and others on a path to optimum happiness.
Her own struggles have led Liz on a continual journey of experimentation and discovery. Battling numerous food allergies and physical issues over the last 10 years, Liz has learned to utilize food to heal and nourish her body and soul. Studying hospitality at Northern Arizona University, Liz was able to develop her passion for an industry focused on helping others.
For 8 years, Liz has worked in restaurants and hotels, while developing her knowledge of food and nutrition through personal exploration, studies and guidance from industry professionals. Traveling to Asia, South America and other areas outside of the United States, she has observed and built an appreciation for various cultures’ use of food. Liz earned a Plant Based Nutrition Certificate from eCornell University’s Center for Nutrition Studies and a Nutrition and Healthy Living Certificate within the same program.
Santosha Nutrition was founded from a simple idea: eating more plants can change the world.
For more on Santosha Nutrition CLICK HERE
Also, see how Chef Liz is building her brand with Pick On Us!
CLICK HERE to watch!