The health of our planet can be an overwhelming problem and, depending on where we live, one that feels far away. However, it is one that inevitably affects all of us.
In this blog, we’ll go over a few things you can invest in that will enhance your customers’ experiences while making your restaurant more environmentally friendly.
Ready to learn more?
Here are a few eco-friendly tips that restaurants are doing to help the planet.
1) Awareness: Read up on the effects of plastics & foam, food waste, and energy waste. Join a sustainable restaurant group/organization such as Surfrider Foundation’s Ocean Friendly Restaurants, SRA, or Dine Green. Look into local trash clean-ups. Find ways to give back environmentally.
2) Manage Waste: Think zero waste (or close to it).
A) Choosing non-foam & non-plastic items. Use biodegradable options such as wood utensils, bamboo boats, palm leaf plates, etc.
B) Recycle. Customers and employees doing their part with proper bins and distribution.
C) Minimal food waste or donate.
3) Choose Local:
A) Farms for fruits, vegetables, herbs, spices, etc
B) Community Support (donate, service, etc)
C) Local Sustainable Collaborations
4) Upgrade equipment and To-Go supplies to be sustainable. Replace the energy sucking older equipment with energy saving appliances and equipment. Replace plastic and foam containers and utensils with earth friendly solutions such as bamboo custom picks instead of plastic frill picks for burgers. And replace plastic drink stirrers with Wooden or Bamboo Drink Stirrers. You can even get them customized!
Here are some benefits from being a sustainable restaurant:
1) Brand Loyalty from employees and consumers
2) A Better Supply Chain due to reducing your carbon footprint and having a good view on where your supplies come from. This in turn gives you and your guests great satisfaction with your menu items.
3) Brand Awareness that your restaurant cares about the planet and is doing something about it.
4) Brand Growth from a broader range of customers. Many are people looking to spend their money at a business that is sustainable.
5) Tax Benefits from the Government offers various advantages to businesses that go green. This includes tax breaks, rebates and other monetary enticements.
6) Increased Profits due to lowering waste and increasing value by using eco-friendly products.
7) Engagement Growth will go up from employees taking part and feeling good about helping the environment, the guests and the restaurant. As well as, guests snapping and posting about it on social media.
Many restaurants do want to make a positive impact on the world. By taking just a step toward one of these efforts you will be setting the motion and helping to change the world while also building your brand. It’s a win-win and definitely something to feel good about.